Improve English – Reading aloud – A perfect way to improve spoken English is the best way to master the English language and it will also help you to serve you well on many different levels. It will help you read smoothly and become fluent and confident.
To all the learners of English, I would like to encourage you to read aloud. It will help you to comprehend what you are reading. In this, you are listening to your own voice and it will assist you to understand the pronunciation better with clarity.
There are many benefits of reading aloud to improve English, which are as follows:
- When you read aloud, you are building your listening skills and it will, in turn, discover your writing voice.
- Reading aloud will help you to detect how to have a dialogue and narrate things.
- This is one way that can improve the diction and expression to help you develop your speaking and writing skill. You will be able to detect syllables and hence have better pronunciation.
- It also improves your memorizing ability and sees the images in your mind.
- When you read aloud, you will improve your spelling.
- It is one way that can help you practice your public speaking skills.
One more thing that you can do is, when you write any piece of content which can be a letter, essay, story, research paper, or book report, just read it aloud to yourself.
When you do so, it will be helpful in the following ways:
- When you read your own written content, you can tell very well that whether the content is written in Active voice or not, the flow of the content is good or not. If you are not able to take your content well, be sure nobody else will be able to do so.
- When you read your own written content, you will be able to check and correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes.
- You will also be able to know if the content written by you is boring or not. In case, if you get bored, you can rewrite the content.
- Reading aloud will also enable you to improve your English language skills that including spelling, grammar, and pronunciation.
The problem is nobody is interested in reading. They do not want to give their time to reading as initially, it may take lots of effort.
If you want people to read and improve their skills, then follow the following tips:
- You need to explain to people the importance of reading and how it will be helpful to them in reading and writing content.
- You can suggest them, to practice reading aloud in your room in the privacy. It will help them, not to be conscious.
- You can make them look up to an ideal person who reads a lot. That person can be a parent, teacher, or any friend. Ask them to make that person authorize for reading. The authorized person can do the reading with the learner. It will motivate the learner for reading,
- Initially, you can ask the learner to read silently, then he can read aloud.
- Give lots of motivation, encouragement to the learner through pacing with them, pronouncing the words with them, etc.
- Use various appreciation techniques like small gifts, stickers for continuous readers, who do it regularly.
Let me share one thing with you, when I write blogs or any content, I make sure that I read the content aloud while editing. I do it without setting any additional time for reading.
As a starter also, reading aloud really works. It is one thing in which you do not need anybody. You can simply start with opening news, blog, or any book of your interest and reading one page regularly aloud to yourself. With time you can increase content reading gradually to 2 pages and more.
When you read aloud, you do not have to:
- Think about what you are going to say- You can focus on the pronunciation of the words and sentences.
- Think if the speech is correct or not – You can focus on getting the intonation right and making the flow of speech.
- Worry about what anyone else will think, even if they see you practicing – reading is fine and correct thing and you can do it.
Reading aloud to improve English is the best thing to be done.
What material to use for reading aloud:
Though you can use any material for reading aloud, here are a few examples
- English newspaper articles.
- Online news articles or any other website you find interesting.
- You can write something yourself and then read it aloud.
- English fiction or any books, just make sure that you start with easy content.
- Read my blogs that will help you to also increase your English language skills.
And now it is your turn to write something in the comment section below. You can start by reading the comments you mentioned in the comment below.
Also, check the following links for more information on the same.
- How to form plurals
- avoid English spelling mistake
- How to handle English spelling mistakes
- Learn English at home
- Rules for basic spellings
- Punctuations and its usage
- Parts of speech
- Frequently used words
- Learn English at home
About the Author: Anju Jindal
Anju is a trainer, entrepreneur, and career growth specialist who helps students, working professionals, women, and Job seekers to reach out to their goals by implementing a Career Growth plan