How to crack your interview?
Do you know the interview needs to be cleared for a job?
Do you want to learn how to clear the Interview?
Do you know the interview can be cleared with simple steps?
I would say that interview can be cleared you just need to focus on a few points, but before that let us understand
What is the Interview?
Interview word generally means one to one conversation, but now it is known for formal purposes. So, it is called the structured conversation where one party asks questions and others provide answer. It is generally a verbal conversation between them.
It is used as a selection procedure made to predict future job performances of the applicant based on the oral responses given by the candidate and it is now the most crucial component of the whole process of selection.
Why is Interview important?
The interview is important for both the parties
- It helps to collect additional information relating to the culture, education of an applicant which is not mentioned in the resume.
- It is used to assess the applicant’s skills, abilities, knowledge related to the job.
- It helps in deciding the right applicant who should be selected or rejected for the job position vacant.
- It is also a goodwill increment or public relations tool if, conducted in a friendly and fearless environment.
- Interviews also help in the evaluation of employees by the employer for promotion or transfers.
- It helps to provide employment opportunities to people, as during the interview, people can present and communicate their views, opinion, and ideas to employers.
- It helps in developing confidence and boost their morale if multiple interviews are faced by the candidate.
- It helps the applicant to accept or reject the job offer depending on compensation, perks, allowances, working conditions, job security, and other benefits.
- It helps the applicant to develop a network with new people.
Types of Interview
There are various types of interviews:
1.) Formal one to one interview
It is a planned and well-arranged one to one interview conducted in a formal atmosphere at a fixed time, and venue. All the procedures and formalities are followed.
2.) Informal one to one interview
It is an unplanned and unscheduled interview that can happen at random places with no set procedures and formalities.
3.)Structured or patterned Interviews
This kind of interview has a planned and structured set of rounds in which there is no possibility of deviation and includes assessment patterns and other rounds.
4.) Group Interview
This kind of interview has got a group of individuals who are interviewed simultaneously wherein a problem is given to the group for discussion. The candidates are observed and the best possible person is selected who can lead the group, who is active and dominant.
5.)Panel or board interview
This kind of interview is the one where the interview is conducted by a panel or group of people who are experts and conduct an interview for all the individuals and judge to select the most eligible candidate.
This kind of interview is the one where the interview is conducted via telephone and generally this kind of interview is conducted for the initial round of interview.
This kind of interview is the one where candidates can directly come to the venue without sending their application in advance rest of the process remains the same as other interviews.
Tips to clear Interviews
The whole process of interview is based on “3 Ps” of the interview which are:
PREPARE in advance
PRACTICE as much as possible
PERFORM as if it is the first and last time
The whole process can be divided into four parts:
Preparation for the interview
This time is the time that starts from the moment you decide that you will start with the preparation of a particular job profile and ends till the time you get fully prepared for the same. During this phase, the first two Ps which are preparation and practice of the interview are taken care of.
1.) Prepare yourself with all the concepts, communication skills, computer skills, professional skills and various other things needed for the interview because if you are having appropriate knowledge you will be really confident during the interviews and knowledge will also make sure that you are selected for the interview.
2.) Practice well for the interviews with the help of various mock interviews, group discussions, debates, tests, and assessments so that your actual first interview does not seem like the first interview and it will help you to get rid of nervousness, under confidence, and anxiety.
3.) You need to prepare your CV or resume beforehand.
4.) You need to practice body language and develop an appropriate mindset in order to be natural during the interview.
The more you prepare and practice it is better and the difference can be seen between the not prepared, not practiced candidate, and you. You can always join some professional or mentor to learn these skills.
If this time is utilized wisely in learning all the required skills then next all points will really not bother you later.
Before the interview
This time starts from the day you get to know about the vacancy of the job profile until the time you go to the venue of the interview.
- Research about the organization where you have to go for an interview in order to be well aware and become familiar with the organization.
- Make necessary changes in the CV or resume as per the interview profile or organization.
- Research about the location of the venue and how much time it will take to reach the venue so that you can plan your conveyance and time in order to reach before time for the interview.
- Make sure your formal dress is available to you with is properly ironed and clean.
- Make sure you know about the job profile and it matches your skills.
- Always choose the profile over the company or salary.
- Make sure you reach at least 10 minutes before time so that you become familiar with the place.
- Try to avoid usage of mobile, chewing or eating something, conversing loudly, or informal behavior during the waiting time before the interview starts.
- Make sure all the required above things are done before the day of the interview and not on the day of the interview in order to remain calm and away from anxiety.
- The last but not the least thing is to have a positive mindset throughout the day.
During the interview
This is the time when you are going through the interview. This is the time to give you 100% and be in that place with the correct mindset. This is the time when your third P of the interview comes into the picture which is to perform as if it is the first and the last time.
- Remember the first impression is the last impression so, greet the interviewer with a smile and a handshake if possible. First, 30 seconds is a real decision-making time.
- Make sure you have eye contact, correct expression in short appropriate body language throughout the interview.
- Always listen to the question and then answer so that, you can understand the question better and also answer the question better.
- Expect the unexpected during the interview like an unexpected question and in that scenario do not panic. Just relax and try to answer the question.
- Develop a rapport with the interviewer by showcasing your energy, sense of humor, and smile. If you feel like you can also ask questions from the interviewer.
- Always be natural during the interview like natural body language, smile, etc.
- The longer the interview goes, it is better so, engage in conversation to make the interview interesting for both of you.
After the interview
- Ask the interviewer when can you get back for the follow-up.
- Always analyze the interview and try to understand what went well and what could have done better.
- Don’t overstress if not selected. Take it as a preparation for the next interview.
- Start preparing for the next interview.
There are as such no set rules for an interview, but if the above mentioned points are followed, it will help you to crack your interview in the best way.
I have got more career and communication advice and inspiration for you at www.anjujindal.com.
To join the community for free courses – community career growth mastermind.
About the Author: Anju Jindal
Anju is a trainer, entrepreneur, and career growth specialist who helps students, working professionals, women, and Job seekers to reach out to their goals by implementing a Career Growth plan