Right career – The answer to the above questions cannot be determined, but we can always assure that we take all necessary steps which can help us choose the option which can give us a path that leads to success.
This blog has an answer to all your queries like
- How to select the best suitable career after 12th?
- Which career is enables growth?
- Is it possible to choose a career that assures growth?
Though there is no surety of success, but these steps help to shape things in a better way.
A simple 3 step process if followed can help you to take your decisions in a better way.
3 Steps to choose the right career are:
- PMPV FORMULA
- SWOT ANALYSIS
- SMART GOALS
STEP NO 1 – PMPV FORMULA
This Step is the most important step and will need a lot of time as it is your full analysis to understand you well and will align your capabilities with your passion and the demands of the world. In this formula for Right career
- P stands for PASSION
- M stands for MISSION
- P stands for PROFESSION
- V stands for VOCATION
First, you need to find out answers to the following 4 questions Right career
- What do you love doing? The answer to this question can be something which you can do for hours but will not get bored. It can be, painting, writing, teaching, etc.
- What you are good at? The answer to this question can be anything that brings you appreciation from people if they see your work. It can be, cooking, communication, dancing, etc.
- What you can be paid for? The answer to this question can be you will be paid for the work if you do the task. It is something for which you have taken professional training, got certifications, or acquired knowledge. It can be computer knowledge, selling, etc.
- And the most important of these is our fourth question which is What the world needs? The answer to this question can be something which is in a lot of demand today and the demand is going to be there for the next 10 years. Like training, hospitality, etc.
In, all the above questions there can be multiple items. Once you find out all the answers you need to put them in the diagram below:
So, what do we need to look at the diagram?
We need to look at the middle portion where all four circles intersect and the common portion in all four circles is actually the most important as it defines the purpose of your life or you can say the career which you should follow as, here you will be delighted, satisfied, comfortable and you can create wealth also. You have your career that can let you grow.
STEP NO 2 – SWOT Analysis
Now, you know about your career so you need to check out your abilities in order to grow in that career for which you need to do your detailed analysis with the help of SWOT analysis. Here you will divide the things into 4 quadrants
- The first quadrant is strengths (S) and contains all positive traits which you have for your career, including professional skills, certifications, experience gained, or any of your own positive habits. E.g. computer skills, convincing skills, etc. It needs to be known in order to let you be motivated and grateful by looking at it. The longer the list is, the better it is.
- The second quadrant is weaknesses (W) consisting of all the things you need to improve on by working out them regularly. The items like low communication, professionally unskilled, low confidence, low self-esteem, or negative habits for e.g. If you are late, it is part of this quadrant. Here, the important point is once you know your weaknesses, especially lack of professional or communication skills You should not wait and get yourself trained for the same.
- The third quadrant is opportunities (O) consisting of items that can help you to grow in the future and have a positive impact on your growth. Advancement in industry, new technology, the future trend is part of this quadrant. We really need to be updated about the industry of which we are part of, being proactive and planning things ahead to utilize their full potential is the key.
- The last quadrant is for threats(T) consisting of items that we cannot control, but we need to be aware of these so that we can develop a method and prepare ourselves for coping contingencies. It could be due to competition, change in a government rule, or some natural calamity.
After this, you are able to match the career you choose with your abilities and develop a plan with step no 3.
Remember “To engage yourself in training to be best at what you want to do and being a life long learner“.
STEP NO 3 – SMART GOALS
It is about having your goals SMART which can be defined as
- S-Specific means that your goals need to be direct, detailed, and meaningful like real numbers with real deadlines. For e.g. If you say you want to be successful. It is not a goal wherein if you say you want to double your business by march 2021 then it is a specific goal.
- M-Measurable which means that your goal should be quantifiable so that the progress or success can be tracked. As in the case of above e.g. The number which is doubling the business is very much trackable whereas being successful is not.
- A-Achievable which means that your goal should be challenging, but there should be a possibility to achieve it. You should have tool and resources to achieve the goal. For e.g. If you want to double your business. You should have adequate machinery, or manpower to achieve your target.
- R-Relevant which means it should be sensible enough as per the industry. You should know what you and your team are capable of. For e.g. If you are part of the website designing industry your team should have designers.
- T-Time Lined which means there should be specific deadlines to get the task accomplished.
You are now in a position to know which career is suitable for you and which one to choose. And You are also aware of your abilities which you have and the ones you need to acquire through training or practice. You have planned your SMART goals also so, do not wait to follow the 3 steps and get yourself fueled. Start working for a growing career from now.
Remember “TAKING ACTION IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN KNOWING“
About the Author: Anju Jindal
Anju is a trainer, entrepreneur, and career growth specialist who helps students, working professionals, women, and Job seekers to reach out to their goals by implementing a Career Growth plan