Enhance social media profile – 8 Tips
Are you one of those who post anything and everything at social media?
Do you understand how powerful social media profile can make you?
Do you know your social media is scanned when you apply for an interview or visa?
Do you want to improve your social media profile?
If yes, then you should go through this blog, and understand all about social media. How powerful it is.
This will help you to understand the invisible benefits and damages social media can do you.
Watch the full video for details
Guys, Social media profile are the description of one’s social characteristics, details that identify a person on social media sites. These profiles can describe any number of details such as one’s interests, expertise, profession, credentials, etc. It is basically very important in today’s life of every individual.
These profiles are important because:
It connects you to the social network and it is like your digital DNA as it can tell a lot about you.
It can empower you with knowledge by joining various communities or participating in various conversations, projects, or different initiatives.
People are using social media for their business promotions, reviews, to connect with people, for creating the network, and ultimately creating the identity for the brand.
In the end, the most important thing is it can create an impact about you in your network which can be positive or negative.
You need to remember one thing in your social media that the effect which can be negative or positive will come in time and it is not going to happen in a day. So, invest your time in building the positive impact of your profile as it can impact you in many ways.
Let us just understand three places where your social media surely matters
- It can get you selected or rejected in your job interview. Yes, you just read it right your interview selection can be dependent on what is posted on your social media. Now-a-days many big companies are doing social media screening to understand the person’s behavior and personality. It is assumed that we post on social media based on our personality and it helps them to understand the person’s psychology. So, make sure you are taking care of what you are posting on social media.
- It can also get your business affected positively or negatively. Today, when we want to purchase something we first go to the internet and check the reviews of the product or service and also the company’s review. You need to be really careful that your services and product are good and if something happens which was not up to the mark, then appropriate steps need to be taken to neutralize the effect.
- The next important impact is for the people who are looking forward to go to foreign countries like the United States of America. You need to be really careful as your visa application will be having a separate column that will ask about your social media profile details and they might check your profiles, based on which your visa application may be selected or rejected.
- Now, after knowing the impact lets just understand the different social media platforms. There are various social media platforms that are used by people and trust me every platform has its own audience and to target the correct one we need to know which social media platform is best for which target audience.
The platforms are as follows:
Facebook – The most popular and the biggest social media site has the highest number of people using it every month. Almost one-third of the population is using it. It is easy to use for every individual for almost all-purpose.
Instagram – Instagram is a photo and video-sharing social media site. This is a more popular platform amongst the young crowd and you can share photos, videos, stories, and also go live just like Facebook.
Twitter – This is a popular site for news, entertainment, sports, politics, etc. It is different from other platforms as it emphasizes strongly on real-time information. It allows limited characters in a tweet that is 280 characters, unlike other social media platforms.
LinkedIn – LinkedIn initially was just a resume and job search site, but now it is more of a professional site wherein industry experts can share the content, network with each other, and build their personal brand. Now, It also offers advertising opportunities like boast your content, sending personalized ads to inboxes.
Other platforms are Tiktok, YouTube, Pinterest, and many more. You can choose multiple platforms depending on the purpose and go with them.
But, if you are looking to create a powerful social media profile to make an impact within your network, then just check the Do’s, and Dont’s of the social media profile which are as follows:
FOLLOW IMAGE GUIDELINES
This is the first and the most important thing to take care of as specific image guidelines across various social media platforms are specified because they know what is the best way to be seen best. You should adhere to the guidelines so that your photos on a profile, cover page, etc. must look good. Some of the guidelines are as follows:
Facebook profile picture: 170 X 170 pixels
Facebook cover photo: 828 X 465 pixels
Twitter profile photo: 400 X 400 pixels
Twitter header image: 1,500 X 500 pixels
Google+ profile picture: 250 X 250 pixels (minimum)
Google+ cover photo: 1080 X 608 pixels
LinkedIn profile photo: 400 X 400 pixels (minimum)
LinkedIn cover photo: 974 X 330 pixels
LinkedIn banner image: 646 X 220 pixels
Instagram profile picture: 110 X 110 pixels
Apart from this you also need to take care to have the same profile image everywhere for creating recognition and a professional look.
Adjust your photo tag settings also as per the social media policy.
You also need to keep yourself away from getting tagged in controversial posts, bad or embarrassing photos.
It is best to review the photo tags regularly and verifying if you are tagged in the right posts or photos.
NO RANDOM STUFF
This should be very well taken care of that you just do not share each and everything on social media. You need to be really careful while posting something on these platforms as the whole world is watching it. You should especially be very careful while using hate speech or negative comments for somebody.
- Do not put any strong comments in favor or against of any specific political party.
- Do not put any religious, spiritual comments which may hurt any particular religion.
- Do not put any comment which is inhuman by using harsh language.
- Do not post any negative comments against anyone and also make sure that you do not complain about any person or company on social media. There are specific platforms for the same.
You should be using the right keyword in your profile like industry details, title, description, skills, etc., so that when searches are done when you are searching. The right people are able to find you when they search using those keywords.
You should also use hashtags for better searches. You can use keyword tools that can help you identify the right words and terms. Examples of tools are SEMrush and Google keyword planner. While putting the keywords make sure that you do not stuff a list of keywords and just fill the post. Remember to choose the correct keywords.
CONTENT AS PER THE AUDIENCE
Your posts are for the audience so it needs to be as per their interest. You should write clear and explaining content that is best for your audience. You need to make sure that you fill complete details like name, bio, description, interests, job title, experience, skills sections and more.
You also need to be consistent with posts, content like photos, posts. For making our best post first seen, you can pin the best content at the top of your profile.
BUILD SOCIAL TRUST
This is a very important thing to be considered while building your social media profile. It is just like we create trust in real life with our peer group so that they can trust us, we should also make sure that we do the same while making our social media profile.
This can be done by asking for reviews and recommendations from your network ,which can be done only when you follow the above point. Social trust cannot be built in a day, it takes time and conscious effort to do so. That is why it is really important to post authentic, trustworthy, and relevant content.
CROSS PROMOTION AMONG PLATFORMS
This is more important for business and promotional purposes. As the audience of the different platforms is different, so it is a good idea to cross-promote and reach larger audience groups.
You can do so by putting links to different social media on your website, email signatures, posts, etc. Various platforms allow cross-promotion like:
- Facebook allows you to add multiple website fields
- LinkedIn allows you to add your Twitter account
- Pinterest allows you to connect to Facebook and Twitter
DO NOT SEND DIRECT MESSAGE AGAIN
There is complete no to send a direct message to anyone again and again. You should follow interpersonal skills while communicating in direct conversations.
It is so obvious that if a person is not responding to you it means he/she is not interested in responding and so sending the message again and again will do harm only.
DO NOT POST CONFIDENTIAL DATA
This is something which again is against professionalism and ethics, doing so will bring you in the wrong light which will impact your profile negatively.
It is advisable that if you are forwarding any post or writing any post of this sort, just be double sure of what will be the repercussion of that. Now, every social media platform has some policies and every post is scanned.
At last, the next important thing to be taken care of is you need to take special care regarding the security of these social media profiles in order to make sure that they are not wrongly used by anyone. So, use a strong password, two-way authentication, and other processes to make it secure and safe to be used.
I have got more career and communication advice and inspiration for you at www.anjujindal.com.
To join the community for free courses – community career growth mastermind.
About the Author: Anju Jindal
Anju is a trainer, entrepreneur, and career growth specialist who helps students, working professionals, women, and Job seekers to reach out to their goals by implementing a Career Growth plan